Joshua Liddle recently contacted me about his math puzzle app game called Tinct. The object is to find some numbers that form a simple equation whose answer is already given.
The game can be played with a timer - for pressure - or untimed.
Suppose the target # is 15. You have many options: look for a 7 & 8. There could be a 7, but where's the 8? Instead you find a 15 & 1 and make a multiplication operation.
The dial spins. I really like the graphics. In terms of a puzzle challenge, I think this is particularly good for kids. Although I could see seniors doing this to ward off Alzheimer's.
http://www.cardboardlemon.com/p/tinct.html
Thursday, May 30, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I am affiliated with Math Facts Game. The untimed option suggests a useful follow-on to the target-15 example: look for two different operations that reach the same target, when the available numbers permit it, then explain each choice. For example, 7 + 8 and 3 × 5 express different relationships even though both make 15. Comparing those alternatives could make the choice of operation part of the discussion, instead of recording only how quickly an answer was found. This is a practice-design suggestion, not a report of using Tinct.
ReplyDelete