Total Pageviews

Friday, August 29, 2014

Lines Numeric Fun: free puzzle app for iphone, ipad. Also, my thoughts on ripoffs.

iPhone Screenshot 1                           iPhone Screenshot 4
John Adams has created an interesting set of topology type puzzles. Look at the first image: the objective is to cover all the squares from the starting square to the ending square. Make sure you fill up all the squares and of course the 1 square must come before the 2 square. You get the idea. I did those 24 levels very quickly.

The green levels have 2 paths that must be connected simultaneously. Here's what's interesting: because there are 2 paths, there are two sets of numbers.  You don't know which numbers are for the green path and which are for the orange path. These puzzles are more difficult.


There are 24 blues levels where there are 3 paths.  The 24 yellow levels have 4 paths! Very challenging and fun.

Recently, a puzzle app developer was asking for my advice/opinion. I generally want to stay positive. However, since this game is a ripoff from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jadams.lines, I feel I can vent. So, let's talk about the negatives. First are the ads that will interrupt your game. Beyond annoying! Turn off the wifi!  The graphics are old school. I'm not crazy about them. For example: the board does not fill up the screen. Why not take advantage of the full screen?  I also don't like the font and have trouble distinguishing a 2 with a 3. Maybe I need reading glasses.

Those complaints are really minor. I positively love these puzzles. Right now I've done 81 out of the 96 levels.
According to my fellow puzzle app blogger Nicola  this game was originally published here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jadams.lines and that this game is a blatant clone. That's unfortunate. It also makes me not want to complete all of the levels. Or do I?
The hard lesson for everybody who's developing a great puzzle: if your game is successful, there is a 100% certainty that you will be ripped off by cloners. There is no entity that will protect your intellectual property.

Numeric Paranoia Space Dots are similar games. The former is better. The latter is easier and more colorful.


https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lines-numeric-fun/id904711649?mt=8

No comments:

Post a Comment