Total Pageviews

Friday, September 19, 2014

Photon Lab: free puzzle app game for iphone, ipad



 iPhone Screenshot 4             iPhone Screenshot 2
Photon Lab comes from Jonathan Kinnersley. It's been sitting on my ipad for a long time now. As you can see from the images, it's a laser puzzle app game that requires you to shoot beams of light - in this case - photons, and get them to their target.
We've seen numerous laser puzzles over the years. And I'm sure we'll see many more.
What's different about Photon Lab: when you place the mirrors and press FIRE, not only must you reach the targets, you must also make sure that each square gets illuminated.
The puzzles themselves are very good.  Here are my qualms: first, there are 480 levels. As I've said numerous times before: the ideal number should be between 50 & 150.
Also, the graphics are annoying. As you fire your lasers, they leave bubble trails behind. If your solution does not work, the bubble trails are still there. Supremely annoying.
I have not solved many of the levels, but I did do the hardest #114, which is the first image.
Let's talk about the Leaderboard. There are over 3000 people playing the game. However, the game's been out for a few months now. Yesterday only 8 people were playing it.
(When Apple came out with ipads 1 & 2, you could check your score with who's playing today, or this week or forever. When Apple upgraded their software, they removed the feature of tracking who and how many people are playing today & this week, strangely. I have two ipad 2s. One of them has the latest software, the other has the old software. One of the reasons I'm not upgrading the software is because I track the popularity of these puzzle app games.)
Bottom Line: I do like Photon Lab. Definitely good for young puzzlers.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-lab/id599313769?mt=8



1 comment:

  1. Good news: the Today and This Week leaderboards have been re-added in iOS 8. That's a relief.

    ReplyDelete